"Our bodies are not meant to breathe
the pollutants found indoors"
Health Effects of Mold
Specific reactions to mold growth can include the following:
Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic
reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic reactions to mold
are common - these reactions can be immediate or delayed.
Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such
as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis).
Mold spores and fragments can produce allergic reactions in
sensitive individuals regardless of whether the mold is dead
or alive. Repeated or single exposure to mold or mold spores
may cause previously non-sensitive individuals to become
sensitive. Repeated exposure has the potential to increase sensitivity.
Molds can trigger asthma attacks in persons who are allergic
(sensitized) to molds. The irritants produced by molds may also
worsen asthma in non-allergic (non-sensitized) people.
Hypersensitivity pneumonitis may develop following either
short-term (acute) or long-term (chronic) exposure to molds.
The disease resembles bacterial pneumonia and is uncommon.
Mold exposure can cause irritation of the eyes, skin, nose,
throat, and lungs, and sometimes can create a burning sensation
in these areas